1831: Mother Catherine McAuley founds the Institute of the Sisters of Mercy in Dublin.
1866: On October 31, six Sisters of Mercy arrived in Nashville, Tennessee from Providence, Rhode Island, at the invitation of Bishop Patrick Feehan. The foundation of six sisters was led by Mother Mary Clare McMahon; they lived in the Kirkland Building and opened Saint Bernard Academy the very next day.
1905: The Sisters move the school to its current location in Hillsboro Village and teach the students in the brick convent building, which now belongs to The Village Chapel
1960: St. Bernard opens a new building for the high school down the hill from the convent, with the elementary school remaining in the convent
1988: Sisters of Mercy decide to close the high school and sell the convent to move to a new Mercy convent facility on Pennington Bend, with high school students moving to Father Ryan after the 1988-89 school year. Parents of the elementary school form a not-for-profit foundation and purchase the high school building.
1989: Elementary students move into the former high school space in fall of 1989 to begin a new school year; many of the Sisters continue to teach at the elementary school.
1990: St. Bernard Academy is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
2004: Construction begins to add 10,000 square feet to the school, including the Mother McAuley Chapel, expansion of the dining hall and creation of an art classroom.
2015: Another renovation begins with a $4.2 million, 18,000-square-foot addition that adds seven classrooms, a multipurpose room, a new front of school, new administrative offices, an all-weather playground and more.
2016: St. Bernard Academy begins a new school year celebrating its 150th anniversary!