At St. Bernard Academy, our Aftercare program is designed to ensure an enriching, convenient, and successful after-school experience for students and parents.
Licensed through the Department of Education, students in Aftercare build community, engage in physical activities, and use their imaginations even after the final bell rings for the school day.
Hours of Operation and Cost
Aftercare is open from dismissal until 6:00 PM when school is in session and on scheduled days when school is closed. Please see the calendar for more information. Full time Aftercare students (those attending every day) pay a monthly fee with discounts offered for siblings. Drop in students are charged various daily fees depending on the day and the number of siblings attending. For a complete breakdown of costs, click here.
Students will be dismissed to Aftercare after all carline students have been picked up. All students will have their temperature taken at check-in. If a child registers at 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or above, they, and any siblings, will be removed from the group and parents will be called for immediate pick up.
3K, JK, and K
Meet in Kindergarten Room
1st and 2nd Levels
Meet in Rooms 19 and 20 behind the stage
3rd (All) and 4th Level (Last Names A-K)
Meet in the front half of the Dining Hall
4th Level (Last Names L-Z) and 5th Level (All)
Meet in the Art Room
Meet in the back half of the Dining Hall
All students will wear a face covering while in Aftercare. Masks will be required during check-in, dismissal, and when physical separation of six feet or more cannot be maintained or when students are in public spaces, including hallways and restrooms. Mask breaks will be provided throughout the day, as directed by the counselors. We ask that parents wear a mask and maintain social distancing when picking up.
- All students will receive a nut-free snack upon arrival. Students may bring a snack from home as well. Snacks will not be shared.
- Once all students have checked into Aftercare, each group will have scheduled times to be outside, weather permitting, in the Gym/MPR, and inside.
- Each day will be a slightly different schedule to ensure that all grade levels have equal time inside and outside.
Habitat Yoga, Soccer Shots, and Golf will be returning to SBA for Spring 2021! All clubs will be following COVID-19 safety protocols. Information for golf will be posted as soon as it becomes available; classes will begin after Spring Break.
Since each group will have designated inside time, homework room will not be offered right away. If the need for it becomes clear, we can add it in at any time and ensure that all students are masked during that time and social distancing.
- 3K-K parents will knock on the door and wait on the grass if the students are inside. If they are outside when parents arrive, parents will wait on the dismissal pad while a staff member helps their student gather their belongings inside to leave. This includes rainy days
- 1st-8th Level parents will wait in the courtyard for their students. We’ll ask that they be mindful of other parents waiting and to maintain social distancing. This includes rainy days.
- If families have kids upstairs and downstairs, we will send the older student through the small playground to meet their family on the dismissal pad to avoid walking in the halls.
- No parents will sign out on the computer system. A staff member will verify who is picking up, document it, and sign out on their behalf on the computer system later.
- On rainy days, parents may call the Aftercare number at (615) 298-1298 to have students begin to gather their belongings and then meet them in their designated area once they are ready.
The biggest benefit of getting involved outside of the classroom is that it often helps students develop social-emotional skills. Removing them from the school environment and encouraging interactions with kids of different ages and with different skill sets allows them to practice their problem-solving skills and manage their emotions in real situations.